It’s Time to Bloom!
2017 was quite a year.
No mud. No lotus.
My mind has come back to this simple statement all year long.
No mud. No lotus
My own version of this has some rather choice words and exclamation points. Along with some fists in the air and eye rolls.
(I’m sure Thich Nhat Hanh is a bit more zen and cool when he shares this.)
I remember first truly understanding the story of the lotus while in acupuncture school.
A lotus – a most gorgeous flower – is surrounded by muck and mud and pretty rough conditions as it grows.
But despite the conditions and the occasional fish swimming by, the lotus maintains its strength and purpose and pushes through the dirty obstacles to reach the clear, light-filled surface.
And while it is fully bloomed – fully present with it’s beautiful petals shining in the sun, the murkiness still is present.
The light and the dark.
Out of the muck of this year (which, lets face it, has been simmering for a very long time) there has been a churning, an awakening of so many gorgeous beings who have otherwise kept their heads down just doing their usual thing.
They are ready to break through the surface of murkiness to fully bloom in the light. To share their beauty with the world.
I believe with all this darkness and turmoil, it has created a moment to pivot – an opportunity for many of us to blaze new trails.
Trails that may be more in line with a calling, a path, or a deeper purpose. One that they didn’t even know was present or aware of.
I’m seeing it everywhere…
You might have even opened similar emails from people who are changing things up in the coming year and beyond.
- Who have declared they’re letting go of products, offerings, or whole ways of doing business.
- Who have dramatically changed their branding to suit the new them.
- Who are speaking their truth in a new, fresh and raw way.
- Who are sharing more, exposing more, speaking up in ways that may even rock their current audience.
- Who have decided that hiding out, not sharing all their gifts (all of themselves) is choking the life out of them.
I certainly get the need to rethink thinks. This year…
- I’ve gone inward more.
- I’ve done a s*** ton more energy work on myself.
- I haven’t read one business book (which my friends were in awe of. Not. ONE!).
- I’ve shut off social media.
- I respond to email only a few times a day and respond thoughtfully (and often slower than usual) rather than in a reactionary way.
- I’ve slowwwwwed down.
- I’ve even picked up a few side gigs to give me space and time to reflect, ponder and figure out my next steps.
Is this setting me up to share that I’m radically revamping our business?
No and yes.
Spoiler: Circles aren’t going anywhere – I LOVE them and they’re very needed
But what that does mean is that I’m bringing in more of what will seriously serve, heal, support and empower others.
Like so many of us. I, too, need to step up.
Like YOU, I have so many gifts, experiences, tools, tips and more to share.
Yet I don’t always value all the things that come naturally to me.
I often think, “Doesn’t everyone know that.”
I say to myself, “It’s all been said, done and shared already. What more can I offer?”
URGH! (fist in the air again… at myself this time!)
Let’s collectively stop discounting, dismissing and downplaying ALL the gifts we bring to the world.
As 2017 winds down, I invite you to reflect, ponder and figure out how YOU can bring more of you and your gifts to the world in 2018!
Comments are closed